Announcements

• March for Science

Dear FIU Sigma Xi Member:

I am passing on a message from Sigma Xi's Headquarters about the March for Science. I am not planning on organizing any March for Science Events as I personally will be in Spain for field work at the time of the March, but I want to keep anyone interested in the loop. The message is below.

If there are student groups on campus or in Miami who would benefit from this information, I would love to see our future scientists fully engaged in working on the March, and equip them to take advantage of the resources Sigma Xi and others are putting at their disposal.

Attachments are not attached- you can email me (eric.vonwettberg@fiu.edu) for me to send them on to you. Sigma Xi's email platform does not easily allow attachments.

Wishing you all the best (and apologies for spam),

Eric

forwarded message from Sigma Xi:

As you may know, Sigma Xi is an official partner with the March of Science scheduled for Earth Day, April 22. If your chapter plans to get involved with a satellite march in any capacity, below you will find some information and suggestions to facilitate this involvement. I am also copying Kishore Hari, the Satellite City Coordinator, in case you have any questions.
    · Attached, you will find a list of contacts for satellite marches in FL. This is just an introduction, so please reach out to local organizers to discuss getting your chapter and members involved. We will keep you posted with any new updates. Updates may also be shared through the Chapter Leaders Community.
    · Sigma Xi is willing to act as a fiscal sponsor for local marches to manage donations under our non-for profit status. Attached is a document summarizing the terms of the sponsorship agreement and explaining responsibilities of parties involved. Please let us know if you this is something you are interested in pursuing; we will provide you with a sample prospectus.
    · We are encouraging each scientist participant to bring a non-scientist to the March, maybe a local STEM teacher or a friend, to amplify our outreach and strengthen the connection with local communities
    · You are invited to order Sigma Xi t-shirts for the March through Sigma Xi HQ. T-shirt design is attached in this email. To order, please send an email to Ms. Meg Murphy (mmurphy@sigmaxi.org) with quantities, sizes, and preferred method of payment no later than Friday, March 10th. Prices for the t-shirts are:
    o Size small to XL: $10
    o Size 2XL: $12
    o Size 3XL: $13
    Price includes taxes, handling, and set up fees. There will be an additional shipping charge to cover shipping from Sigma Xi HQ to chapters. Chapters are responsible for collecting t-shirt payments from local participants.
    · Sigma Xi chapters are diverse in terms of membership and programming. There are several ways through which your chapter could engage with a local march:
    o host or help coordinate a Science Café or a teach-in event
    o identify/invite speakers, or
    o recruit volunteers
    · If you plan to coordinate busses to the DC March, please let us know. We will try to arrange for a Sigma Xi meeting spot there.
    · Please disseminate flyers and information about Sigma Xi programs, publications, membership, and the Affiliate Circle during the event. If you would like to have promotional materials mailed to you, please send your request to chapters@sigmaxi.org. We will also upload flyers to the Chapter Leaders Community Library to download and print in-house.
    · Please think of the March as the beginning of something bigger and use this opportunity to cultivate new partnerships and connections with like-minded organizations for future collaborations that support science and local communities.

Throughout the 130 years history of Sigma Xi, our programs and publications have been integral to enhancing the health of the research enterprise. The March for Science is one of many efforts the Society supports to fulfill our mission. It’s a non-partisan, apolitical effort to promote the role of science in our society and to call for evidence-based policy making. For more information about the March for Science, please visit https://www.marchforscience.com.

Thanks and Best Wishes,
    Eman