Sigma Xi Seminar Series: What is (are) seismic data? Why should I not trust it (them)?

When:  Feb 15, 2018 from 17:00 to 18:30 (MT)
Associated with  Calgary

Sigma Xi Seminar Series

Sponsored by Sigma Xi The Scientific Research Honor Society

Presents:

What is (are) seismic data?

Why should I not trust it (them)?

by

Dr. Samuel Gray,

CGG, Calgary

Thursday, February 15th 2018, 5 pm

University of Calgary, Biological Sciences Room 211

Abstract: The seismic method has been instrumental in finding and delineating oil and gas reservoirs inside the Earth for nearly a century. The method consists of acquiring seismic data, processing those data, and interpreting the processed results to help predict the best drilling locations. I present an overview of these steps, and I emphasize the pitfalls arising from failure to recognize limitations in the steps, individually or in combination.

Bio:   Samuel Gray received a PhD in mathematics from the University of Denver in 1978. He spent most of his career in the oil and gas industry, starting at Amoco's Research Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He moved to Amoco's Calgary office in 1994, and left after the merger of Amoco and BP (BP Amoco, now BP) in 1999 to work for VeritasDGC. VeritasDGC, which resulted from the earlier merger of geophysical contractors Digicon and Veritas, merged with CGG in 2007 to become CGGVeritas, now CGG. (Do you notice a pattern of industry consolidation? Almost no oil-industry geoscientist's bio is complete without some evidence of merger-and-acquisition activity.) He retired from CGG in 2016, and continues to consult for CGG. In 2017, he was awarded the highest distinction of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists, the Maurice Ewing Medal.

Follow us on Facebook @CalgarySigmaXi

We also wish to acknowledge the Department of Biological Sciences which has provided the venue

Contact

Kelly Monteleone
+403-478-3833
kelly.monteleone@ucalgary.ca